‘Prevalence of overweight and obesity among female adults in Ideato North L.G.A., Imo State Nigeria:- Okonkwo, Cynthia O.

Cynthia O. | 115 pages (21877 words) | Projects
Human Nutrition and Dietetics | Co Authors: Okonkwo

ABSTRACT

Overweight and obesity are risk factors ofmaternal morbidity and mortality in Nigeria. This study assessed the prevalence of overweight and obesity among female adults in Ideato North L.G.A Imo State. This cross-sectional study involved 398 female adults selected randomly. The adults’ personal, socioeconomic characteristics, meal pattern and lifestyle were obtained through administered questionnaire. Their waist and hip circumferences, including weight and height were measured and used to calculate their waist hip ratio (WHR) and body mass index (BMI), which were categorized and used for the analysis. Data were analyzed using the Statistical Package for Service Solution version 21.0. The result revealed that 26.9% ofthem were within the age of 30- 39 years, 45% and 35.4% had 1-3 to 4.6 children with 43.5% having 4-6 households’ size. More than half(54.5%) were graduates and 62.3% earned less than or equal to #18,000 probably due to their occupation as 31.2% were civil servants. Meals were skipped by 43.2% ofthem and 20.9% skipped breakfast. Little above quarter (27.9%) consumed pastries and snacks daily. Soft drink such as coke was consumed by 35.4% ofthem. Some (23.4%) of them smoked cigarette. More than half(55%) engaged in trekking/walking and 59% exercised daily. Also, 44.7% took alcoholic drinks. Majority ofthe food groups such as cereals (77.3%), roots (137.4%), legumes (108.3%), meat and its products (212.7%), milk and its products (85.7%), nuts (131.5%), fat and oil (108.3%) and fruits and vegetables (595.9%), were consumed 3 times by a good number ofthem. Majority (92%) of the women were at risk of cardiovascular diseases, while the rest (8%) were normal. Body mass index showed that 21.6% and 69.3% were underweight and of normal weight, respectively. Only a few (9.0%) were overweight. Significant relationships were found between the BMI ofthe women and their age, occupation, number of children, alcoholic drinks intake and their brands. The results showed the need for reduction in the intake of alcoholic drinks and other things that might predispose one to deposition of fat at the abdominal region with its attendant risks.

Overall Rating

0.0

5 Star
(0)
4 Star
(0)
3 Star
(0)
2 Star
(0)
1 Star
(0)
APA

CYNTHIA, O (2024). ‘Prevalence of overweight and obesity among female adults in Ideato North L.G.A., Imo State Nigeria:- Okonkwo, Cynthia O.. Repository.mouau.edu.ng: Retrieved Apr 23, 2024, from https://repository.mouau.edu.ng/work/view/prevalence-of-overweight-and-obesity-among-female-adults-in-ideato-north-lga-imo-state-nigeria-okonkwo-cynthia-o-7-2

MLA 8th

O., CYNTHIA. "‘Prevalence of overweight and obesity among female adults in Ideato North L.G.A., Imo State Nigeria:- Okonkwo, Cynthia O." Repository.mouau.edu.ng. Repository.mouau.edu.ng, 22 Jan. 2024, https://repository.mouau.edu.ng/work/view/prevalence-of-overweight-and-obesity-among-female-adults-in-ideato-north-lga-imo-state-nigeria-okonkwo-cynthia-o-7-2. Accessed 23 Apr. 2024.

MLA7

O., CYNTHIA. "‘Prevalence of overweight and obesity among female adults in Ideato North L.G.A., Imo State Nigeria:- Okonkwo, Cynthia O.". Repository.mouau.edu.ng, Repository.mouau.edu.ng, 22 Jan. 2024. Web. 23 Apr. 2024. < https://repository.mouau.edu.ng/work/view/prevalence-of-overweight-and-obesity-among-female-adults-in-ideato-north-lga-imo-state-nigeria-okonkwo-cynthia-o-7-2 >.

Chicago

O., CYNTHIA. "‘Prevalence of overweight and obesity among female adults in Ideato North L.G.A., Imo State Nigeria:- Okonkwo, Cynthia O." Repository.mouau.edu.ng (2024). Accessed 23 Apr. 2024. https://repository.mouau.edu.ng/work/view/prevalence-of-overweight-and-obesity-among-female-adults-in-ideato-north-lga-imo-state-nigeria-okonkwo-cynthia-o-7-2

Related Works
Please wait...